Proof of Identity is very important. Most landlords require a picture ID and a social security card.
Landlords may look at your credit, rental history, income, and/or criminal background to get a sense of what kind of tenant you would be. You don't always have to have a perfect credit score or make massive amounts of money.
Most of the time landlords want to see that you have been on a job and have a steady income.
When looking at your credit a landlord may look at your debt payments. Late or past due utility bills, evictions, collections, and/or bankruptcies.
Rental Verifications are a big way to see if you are the right fit. Looking to see how many late payments you have had. Seeing if you had any damages, and frankly to see if you had any lease violations.
Questions a lot of landlords may ask you are:
1. What date would you like to move in?
2. Do you have pets?
3. How long have you lived in your current home?
4. Why are you moving?
5. How many people will be living in the unit?
6. How many people living with you smoke?
7. What is your monthly income?
8. Have you ever been convicted of a relevant crime?
9. Have you ever been evicted?
10. Have you ever broken a rental agreement?
Good Luck with finding your next home.