Now that the temperatures are dropping it is time to get prepared for those winter months. These steps, most of which you can do yourself, will help you survive the winter months.
1) Have a technician inspect your furnace to make sure that it is clean and in working.
2) If you have a ceiling fan, reverse it. This will allow the fan to push down the heated air.
3) Caulk around window
4) Clean the gutters
5) Divert water. Use an extension to your downspouts so that the water runs 3-4 ft away from the foundation.
6) Turn off outside water faucets
7) Make sure all the doors have weather stripping
8) Prepare an emergency kit
***Indoor Candles and matches or lighter.
***Find and store utility companies phone numbers in your cell phone
***Buy batteries for flashlights and any other battery operating devices
***Store extra bottled water and non-perishable food (be sure to include pet food if you have animals)
***First Aid Kit
Also, remember to change and keep your furnace filter clean. On top of that, make sure that you leave all your faucets on a drip. This will help the pipes from freezing. Keep cupboards open so that the heat can get to the pipes.
To help keep the gas bill low, set the thermostat to an agreeable temperature and wear extra clothing or cover up with a blanket. I have a great heated blanket that I like to snuggle up with and it helps keep me warm. Socks will also help your body keep in that body heat.
Warm yummy food will always warm the soul and is good for the body. I'll share some of my favorite receipts next time.
Until next time.........